Friday, April 27, 2012

Friday Faith Builder



One of my favorite Bible verses is Colossians 3:12 which states, “Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.”


The phrase “clothe yourselves” stands out to me as a vivid image of how God wants us to dress—and live. Once in a while, when I remember, I try to imagine the different parts of my outfit as the qualities God wants me to clothe myself with. When I put on my shoes, I think of humility. When I put on pants, I think of patience.

What might happen if we all began thinking this way? What if kindness, compassion and gentleness were as important to us as our tops, jewelry and dresses? What if we put more thought into the way we treated others than the way we look toward others?

As you work on this, encourage your children to do the same. When you pick out clothes for the next day, have fun naming the items “compassion,” kindness,” and “patience.” Ask your kids if they put on their clothes and God’s clothes for the day. Remind them they might need to add a layer of humility or gentleness once in a while.

Use your imagination with this verse. Apply it to your daily living. And have fun!

-Pastor Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment